Wednesday 26 October 2016

I haven't got this..

We have been so lucky with Teddy in terms of his sleep routine and general temperament. He's never really been a "crying" baby. When he does you know something is wrong. He's so happy, cheeky and generally always been a very easy baby. I've always thought right from day one "when is this meant to get hard?". I'm not suggesting, in the slightest, I am some wonderful and perfect Mum. Im far from. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. It was all either guess work or my inner voice asking "what would mum do?".

Just before Teddy was born, Adam got a promotion which meant from Monday morning through 'til Thursday he was working away. It was a pretty scary knowing after his paternity it would be just me and this tiny little vulnerable bundle for the majority of the week. The silver lining was it was from day one, so Teddy and I soon got into our own little routine (and it helped Mum was just round the corner!). It was all we had ever known so we just went with it.
But sometimes, it all falls apart and goes to pot. I'm used to getting a full nights sleep. Teddy goes to bed around 7.30pm, and wakes up 12 or so hours later. It's what he has done since he was 3 months old and went into his big cot in his own room. Yet occasionally, because he's ill, teething, out of routine, having a growth spurt, or just because, we have a "bad night". Obviously on each occasion this happens it can vary on just how much a "bad night" it may be.

Last night for example. He's full of cold, perhaps mixed with a little growth spurt and a hint of teething. If we rated it out of 10 (1 being a bit poop to 10 being OH MY GOD MY CHILD IS POSSESSED AND I JUST WANT TO SLEEP!), I'd probably rate it a good 9. I tried everything, and everything again. I always start from the top; cuddle, drink, food, In The Night Garden, story, bed. Nothing worked. He cried because the photo of his cousins wasn't where it usually is (he insisted on carrying it around with him earlier in the day rubbing his nose on it and lost it). He cried because I put In The Night Garden on and he wanted "coco!". Pocoyo obviously, what was I thinking?. He cried because I wouldn't let him roll off the edge of the bed. He cried because I wouldn't let him go outside, in the dark, at 2am. Adam was away and I was loosing the will to live. Eventually, at 3am he went to bed peacefully after having warm weetabix and a barney bear. I'd lost the strength to argue and ability to try and trick him into something more appropriate in the middle of the night. I woke up this morning feeling very beat, tired and in need of a hug.

I had high hopes of a better night tonight, but I already have a little bear out of bed. Wish me luck!


No comments :

Post a Comment

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100